Tuesday, November 14, 2006

#1 1969 Toyota Corolla "Sprinter"


This was my first car that I ever owned, at the age of 19. I believe it had an 1100 cc 4 cylinder OHV with a 4 speed stick shift manual. Horsepower was somewhere around 72.

Since it was my first car, I loved it. In retrospect this car was awful. I should have bought the Datsun 510, the other car I was considering. It's since become a classic. Anyway, this Corolla really demonstrates how advanced entry level cars have become. I owned this car from 1973 to 1976.

The Specs

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I owned one exactly like this. Bought it in Denver for $180, made new brushes for the alternator out of some new ones for a '50 Chevy.

Made a new waterpump gasket out of a Pillsbury biscuit "can" (paper & foil - just like the original) when I replaced the head gasket (I DID find one of those), and the only other thing I ever did to it was replace the pair of ViceGrip pliers on what was left of the shifter stub, with a real gearshift lever.

1076 cc's of Rompin Stompin power - total displacement SMALLER than one hole in a Chrysler 440.