Tuesday, November 14, 2006

#2 1969 Fiat 124 Coupe



This remains one of my favorite cars! A total turnaround from the archaic engineering of the Toyota.

This car had a DOHC 1483cc engine that revved to 6800 RPM smoothly. The engine was mated to a 5 speed manual shifter clad with a leather knob.

It also had a full gauge set, a wooden steering wheel, intermittent wipers and air horns! And check out the glass! Visability was excellent!

The car was good for 97 HP and was stopped by 4 wheel disc brakes. This was a car that was well ahead of its times.

I think the styling is classic, a really beautiful car that was a blast to drive. I got a LOT of tickets with this thing. You can read about my near death experience with this car here.

I owned this car from 1976 to February 1979 when a drunk ran into the back of it while it was parked by my place in Edmonton.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be curious to see the actual build date of this car as the hood and marker lights indicate a later series (1970 -1972) with the 1608 engine

Anonymous said...

Yes, well the 1969-1972 cars came with either the 1608 or 1438 as options. It looks like a 1969-1970 model by the side marker lights. A very early BC coupe.