Wednesday, March 4, 2009

2009 Yamaha FZ-6R


Ok, so it's not a car, or as the bikers say, a "cage". It's still a vehicle so it's going to be on my list.

I purchased this bike in late February of 2009. It's just one of those things you have to do before you die, or get too old to enjoy it. The power and agility of a motorcycle is something you just can't get in a car, unless you want to pay for a Porsche 911 or Lotus Elise.

I've spent a lot of time wondering why I wanted a motorcycle. I think it has to do with the fact that I'm an admitted control freak. A motorbike needs to be controlled every second of it's operation. You can't daydream, you can't sit back and relax, maybe on a cruiser you can't but not on the kind of bike I want, and got.

I love to drive but there is no challenge in operating a car, its just too easy. I want to develop this new skill and the consequences of not learning properly could be severe. Scary, but I like it.

Man and machine, that's what it's about. On a bike you are riding a motor with two wheels attached. You feel every input and every input you give has a consequence. A close relationship has to be established.

Six months ago I did not know anything about bikes. When I decided I wanted one I didn't know what type. At one time it was a cruiser, I even considered a power cruiser, with automatic transmission.

Since then and especially in the last three months I have researched everything I could find on the Internet that has to do with motorcycles. Now I have knowledge of pretty much every sport bike available.

Why the Yamaha? Well I could have got a Suzuki or a Kawasaki, both brands make nice sport bikes under $10,000 which was my price limit. Both Honda and Triumph bikes were too expensive. What sealed the deal was the fact that the Yamaha dealer was closest to home and they had a bike that seemed to be made to exactly what I was looking for. Beginner friendly yet potent enough to be enjoyed for years of skill development.

This Yamaha has a 600cc 4 cylinder engine that makes 77 HP@ 10,000 RPM and 44 lb of torque @8500 RPM. It has a low seat and wind protection. And the color almost exactly matches that of my soon to be neglected 1994 Mustang GT.

No comments: